MENU

Sunday 6 August 2023

Creation Station Ombre Blending Blog Hop

It's time for another Creation Station Design Team Blog Hop, this time we are featuring Ombre Blending.  I usually go for a rainbow when this sort of challenge is presented--I mean, it's so much fun to blend all those colours!  But this time I decided to do something different, and blended Sweet Sorbet, Pumpkin Pie, and Crushed Curry for a summer sunset to remember.


Thanks for stopping by my blog today!  I'm very excited to share this fun ombre blended card with you.  If you're hopping along with us you would have joined me from Mikaela Titheridge at the Crafty oINK Pen--welcome!  Or if you are staring here you can hop along to what the design team has for you today by clicking the "next up" link at the end of this post.

For my project this month I really wanted a background that some crisp, stark white flowers would pop off of--and this certainly did the trick!  These are not the colours I typically gravitate to, but sometimes it is fun to play with palettes outside your comfort zone.  


I started with a Thick Basic White Cardstock base that is 4.00"* x 11", scored at 5.5".  On this base I blended my inks, starting in the middle with Crushed Curry, then moving outwards on a slight angle with Pumpkin Pie and finally Sweet Sorbet, using a light hand and my Blending Brushes.  I find that the best final result comes from building up the colour slowly....if it looks splotchy, keep going back over that section with more ink.  As the ink dries I find that it also fills in a bit, so wait a few minutes before layering more ink.

Once I was happy with the blending I splashed some water on the inked surface; this creates water spots that I find lend a lot of dimension to the final look.  I also added some white ink splatters, so I have a combination of translucent and opaque spots adding interest to my background.

I let everything dry thoroughly before stamping my sentiment in Black Memento Ink.  If you stamp too soon the ink will start bleed and not be crisp, so a little drying time is important.

Next I added my flowers.  As noted above, *, I made my card base a little narrower than usual.  This allowed me to have my flowers go beyond the edges of the card base, without needing a custom-sized envelope.  I wanted the look of the stark white flowers against that vibrant background, but you could also add colour to the centres, leaves, or the flowers themselves for a completely different look.  I started by adding my flowers in a line across the bottom third of my base, and then went back and filled in gaps with the leaves and stems.

I hope you are inspired by all of our ombre blending designs this month to give it a try!  Please leave me a comment and then head over to Sara Nell Langland at Sarassstampingspot.blogspot.com to see her amazing project.


Happy Crafting,
Barb






No comments :

Post a Comment