MENU

Monday 14 February 2022

Just Add Ink #590 Cactus Inspiration

I jumped at the chance to play along with the Just Add Ink Challenge this week, even though I knew I didn't have any cactus stamps to use.  While Christmas shopping last December I was reminded about how much I used to love cross-stitching, and since I haven't done it in YEARS, this was the perfect opportunity to mix an old love with a new one!

I think one of the reasons I stopped cross-stitching was because I didn't have any use for the completed project--the fun was in the process but what do you do with the final product?  Adding it to a card front is the perfect solution!

I headed straight to Pinterest and searched for cross-stitch cactus patterns and there are tons of them!  I selected this one because I loved the fancy geometric flower pot!  I dug out my old embroidery floss and a few hours later I had a finished piece.

I used a Cinnamon Cider top-folding card base (4.25" x 11" scored at 5.5") and added a piece of the aged brick DSP from the Bloom Where You Are Planted DSP pack.  I love this paper!

I used the largest stitched scallop rectangle from the Stitched So Sweetly Dies to create the frame for my cactus.  I then die cut a stitched rectangle from the centre to create the window.  I used my blending brushes and Mossy Meadow, Old Olive and Soft Sea Foam inks to create the beautiful ombre colouring on the finished frame.


I trimmed the fabric and adhered it with Tear and Tape to a thick cardstock panel slightly bigger than the inside of my window, so the edges are hidden.  I then added the frame using dimensionals so it pops up from the fabric and adds some depth to the image.  Then I just glued the whole piece to the card front with Tombow liquid glue.

I stamped the "Hello" sentiment from the Artistically Inked stamp set in Cinnamon Cider on another piece of DSP from the Bloom Where You Are Planted DSP pack, which added just the right amount of colour and interest to my flag.

For the bow I gathered a nest of trimmed Diamond Weave ribbon (cut in half) and some retired Old Olive gold trimmed ribbon.  I added a large Rhinestone to the centre to add a finished look to the bow.

I kept the inside of the card simple with lots of room for a personal message.

What do you think about combining two hobbies into one project?  I definitely have more cross-stitched cards in my future!

Happy crafting,

Barb



5 comments :

  1. Oh wow, what an innovative way to add texture to your card! Love it! So glad you could join us at Just Add Ink this week. Cheers, Kerry DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to cross stitch. I did birth samplers for my boys, two pieces for the walls of the nursery and just some general things--Christmas stockings, tree ornaments. But you're right--the fun is in the "doing". I love this card! I can definitely appreciate the effort you put into it. I hope the recipient appreciates it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that looks like a great deal of work. I love the great frame and fancy bow that you have teamed your cross stitch with too. Chantell Just Add Ink

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness gracious I just love this card. Absolutely Fabulous. Every detail you put in the card is perfect. I'm sold on anything plants/succulents/cactus, but the cross stitching added to the card is top notch. Well done ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cross stitch!!! So wonderful! That was an evening or two! Thank you for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete