MENU

Monday 17 July 2017

A Pocketful of Birthday Wishes

Hello Everyone! 

My card this week is in celebration of my Dad's birthday; he turned 74 over the weekend.  Brief background:  my Dad has been a life long farmer (dairy and beef), and when I say life-long, I mean LIFE-LONG!  He farms the land my great-grandparents started and tells incredible stories about helping out his Dad from the time he was able to lift a bale of hay.  Seventy-something and still going strong!

So if masculine cards are tough, farmer cards are even harder!!  I was thrilled when I saw the new Pocketful of Sunshine stamp set and coordinating Pocket Framelit Dies in the new Stampin' Up! Annual Catalogue.  My dad spends most of his time in denim, so I knew this would help me make the perfect card to celebrate his birthday.



I stamped the pocket on Dapper Denim (can't get much more authentic than that!), and added a balloon bouquet with the Happy Birthday Gorgeous stamp set (don't tell my Dad the set has such a girly name!).  The best part is that this set coordinates with the Balloon Builder Punch--so no fussy cutting for me!  I added some shine and texture by heat embossing silver decorations on the balloons, and tied them to the pocket using silver metallic thread.  The pocket is popped up with dimensionals, and somewhere in my head is an idea percolating on how to make this into a gift card holder.  I'll let you know if I'm successful, as I think that would make a great teenager card (they are almost as hard as farmers to craft for!).

But back to this card!  I created my own background using the smaller stamps from the stamp set, stamping tone-on-tone on Smoky Slate cardstock, and matted everything to a Basic Grey card base.  I added a little pop of colour with the sentiment, stamping it on So Saffron, as it reminded me of the yellow thread some denim makers use when sewing jeans.  I also added two small "grommets" on the pocket, which I think just help make the pocket look that much more authentic!

I'm happy with the final result and I think my Dad was too.

Thanks for checking out my post,

Barb
@justBstamping


Product List

No comments :

Post a Comment