MENU

Tuesday 15 November 2022

Stamping Symphony Sketch Challenge Blog Hop

We have an exciting new challenge at Stamping Symphony this month--a sketch challenge.  Sketches are a go-to for me when my inspiration needs a bit of a boost.  And it's always so much fun to see how differently each person interprets the sketch and makes it their own.  I'm usually quite literal myself. ;)  Here is my card:



And here is the inspiration sketch (thanks Sandy!):

For my card I wanted to use the Santa Express Memories & More Cards & Envelopes, so I stretched the sketch to fit a 4.25" x 6.25" card base.  I started with a mat of Basic Gray Cardstock and a candy cane striped card from the Santa Express Memories & More Card Pack.  

My biggest rectangle is 1.75" x 5", created with a piece of Santa Express 12" x 12" DSP and matted on a Basic Gray Cardstock mat that provides a narrow border. 


The smaller rectangle is one of the 3" x 4" cards from the Memories & More pack, trimmed slightly to 2.5" x 3.75" and again mounted on Basic Grey Cardstock.  Don't throw that scrap away, we'll be using it for the inside!

I tied a Pool Party Sheer Ribbon bow around this section before adhering it to a Poppy Parade card base from the Memories & More Cards & Envelopes.

I replaced the circle in the sketch with a train image that I fussy cut from another card in the Memories & More Card Pack.  These cards are printed on heavy weight paper, so it is easy to add Dimensionals for depth.  

My sentiment banner is cut from Thick White Cardstock using a die from the Stylish Shapes Dies, and it is also popped up on Dimensionals.  I love the added details of the pierced border!  The "Santa" is laser-cut and comes in the Memories & More Card Pack--there are so many options included!  I coloured it with my Basic Black Stampin' Blends but it really dries to a shade closer to Basic Gray, which matches my vision perfectly.  The "sending" sentiment is from the Sweet Gingerbread Stamp Set...the full sentiment says "Sending Love", but I cut apart the second word (don't worry, it can be put back in the exact right spot when needed!) and heat embossed the first word on a scrap of Basic Gray Cardstock in White Embossing Powder.  This too is added with Dimensionals.

I didn't add another die cut embellishment like suggested in the sketch; instead I added three matte rhinestones from my stash (retired All The Trimmings Embellishments) to give the look for smoke coming out of the train stack.  You could also use Puff Paint for this purpose, but I would recommend adding that before you assemble the card layers, so the heat from activating the paint doesn't warp your card.  I didn't think of that ahead of time, so I used the embellishments instead.  I love to shop the Clearance Rack for tiny bits like these, they are so easy to overlook in a catalogue.

For the inside of my card I layered a piece of  3-7/8" x 5-7/8" Basic White Cardstock on a Basic Gray Cardstock mat.  I added the 0.5" strip from the trimmed Memories & More Card I used on the front, and added a Santa-face sticker from the Memories & More Card Pack.  My sentiment is from the Sweet Gingerbread Stamp Set.  

We have an ongoing argument at my house about what colour the background of the smaller rectangle is--I say gray, my family says green....what do you see?!  Please leave your answer in the comments section before you hop along to see what everyone else has for you this month:




Happy Crafting,
Barb


1 comment :