MENU

Monday 25 September 2017

A Quilted Birthday

I have the special honour of sharing a birthday with my incredible mother, which just happens to be tomorrow.  My mother raised five children--four of them girls--and is my hero as I struggle to raise one girl!  As my daughter embeds herself into the pre-teen years I have found a new respect for my mom.  :)

My mom is an avid and accomplished quilter, winner of the top prizes at our Fall Fair for as long as I can remember.  Everyone in my family has at least one quilt, made specifically for them, with colours and themes all their own.  There's no other way to say it:  She makes stunning quilts.  Unfortunately, that skill did not transfer to me!  I love helping to pick out fabrics, which is much like choosing beautiful patterned paper, and I made a small baby quilt when expecting my oldest, but that's as far as I have ever gotten.  When I saw Stampin' Up's new Quilted Christmas suite, I knew that I would be using it to make something special for my Mom. 



 
The centre quilted square was created with a paper pieced die (Quilt Builder) that was so much fun to play with!  I used some retired DSP and spent a lot of time playing with the placement.  The coordinating stamp set also has some patterns that you can use to stamp cardstock with (like I did previously on my baby card), and I used one to "stitch" around the star.  That was the fun part! 
 
I'll be honest--I STRUGGLED with the log cabin background I designed to go with the quilted square.  As much as I have admired my Mom's skill in the past, I had no idea how difficult it really is to line up those corners and get everything the right size!  It seems so easy, but if one piece goes wonky, by the end, the whole thing is off-kilter!  I used the Quilt Top Embossing Folder to "quilt" my background, before adhering my star quilt block to the centre of the card, and finished it off with a rhinestone in the centre.
 
Here is a close up:
 

I know I'll be using this set a lot in the future--but I think I'll stick with plain backgrounds, and leave the fancy stuff to the true quilters out there!

Happy Birthday Mom!

Product List

No comments :

Post a Comment