MENU

Friday 15 May 2020

Father's Day Blog Hop

Hello Everyone, I hope you are safe and well and riding out this physical distancing as best as you can.  It is certainly wearing thin these days and I know we are all anxious for life to get back to normal.

Our blog hop theme this month is Father's Day and I have two different designs:  one is super simple and the other super complicated!  I like them both for different reasons, and I couldn't decide which one to feature, so I thought I might as well share both!
Let's start with the easy one.  I created this design for some encouragement cards we donated to our local hospital and liked it so much I added some elements for Father's Day.  I think the simplicity of the Ombre design works well for a masculine card and it could be personalized with any colour combination to match the recipient's favourite colour.


I used the wavy border die from the Seasonal Layers die set (retiring next month!) and cut a scalloped edge from three shades of blue cardstock (Night of Navy, Blueberry Bushel, and Balmy Blue).  I gently curled the edge with my bone folder and attached the pieces to each other with approximately 1.25" of each colour showing.  The secret to this design is to only apply minimal adhesive across the TOP of the piece, so that the scallop has a chance to lift up for dimension.

To step it up a notch I also die cut "happy" from the Well Written dies 5 times:  once in each shade of blue and four times in thick whisper white.  This created an eclipse-look while on the surface, but the white underlay helps the letters stand out better.


I also stamped the sentiment "Father's Day" in an Ombre effect, by stamping originally in Balmy Blue, and then sponging the other two colours on top of my stamp before putting to paper.  (This stamp set is from a Paper Pumpkin kit several years ago....I love Paper Pumpkin for this reason!  It really helps build up your supply of great sentiments fast).


I wrapped some linen thread around the top quarter of my Ombre cardstock before gluing it onto my thick whisper white card base.


And now onto the complicated card!  This one was tough from a measuring standpoint, but I had a TON of fun decorating it.  This is an "impossible card" fancy fold--how have I not heard about this until now?!?


Believe it or not the base of this card is created from one 4.25" x 5.5", without glue!  It's just scoring, folding and cutting, and the folding helps create a natural pop-up of the centre piece.


Please check out Dawn Griffith's tutorial for all the measurements---the base is actual quite simple, but I have to say I struggled with the decorative layers!  I'm blaming my ruler....it can't be straight. :)

The key paper is from the Bird Ballad DSP and I thought it paired perfectly with the car imagery from the Geared Up Garage stamp set.  I stamped the car image from the set in the bottom right corner of my centre panel and stamped the sentiments in Old Olive on both Grey Granite and white cardstock and cut them out with the coordinating dies.


I also cut a BUNCH of gears from the die set and heat embossed them with gold, silver and copper embossing powder.  It think it really amps up the realism factor and adds some shine, which I always find hard on masculine cards.  Why don't the men in my life like glitter as much as I do?


Everything is layered and I added some dimensionals in a few places for added dimension.

My dad is always trying to figure out how stuff works and I can't wait to see him try to figure out how this card was made!  He'll likely have it solved within two minutes.

Please hop along to see the creations of my talented teammates:



No comments :

Post a Comment